ETE Students Compete in CO2 Dragster Contest

Every car deserves a test run before competing. No, not just any normal car — a car made out of wood that contains CO2 or, in better terms, a tank of compressed gas. Mr. Tierney’s Engineering Technology Education (ETE) students started the CO2 dragster contest with a block of wood and a sketch of their design. Using machines provided, skills, and knowledge, these tech-savvy students worked for weeks to make the perfect car. Finally, Mr. Tierney raced the cars on a track set up in the hallway outside of the ETE classroom and wrote down the fastest times. Students with the best times next headed to Sallisaw in February to compete.

Edwin De La Cruz
Edwin De La Cruz

“It felt good to be selected because I never got to be selected as a participant in a race,” David Pham 8th said.

Not only did students enjoy being included, but they also loved the achievement.

“I felt excited to know that my car was selected to go race the finals because it is the greatest accomplishment I ever did in my life,” Jason Lopez, 8th, said.

Consequently, those students who did not qualify missed out on the chance to compete in Sallisaw.

“I was upset to hear that my dragster didn’t make it to the finals because I worked really hard on my dragster,” Maria Alvarez, 8th, said.

Unfortunately, no Kimmons students won the big race.

“For me, they are all winners,” Mr. Tierney said.