Coach Curry Leaves Texas for Arkansas

Coach Curry Leaves Texas for Arkansas

The sound of the whistle cut through the air followed by Coach Esha Curry shouting “Hustle!” from the sideline of the basketball court during practice. Determined to win the upcoming game, she held her Lady Raiders to high expectations.

In addition to coaching Girls’ Basketball and teaching P.E., Mrs. Curry also coaches Cross Country and assists with Track.

Before Kimmons, Coach Curry taught P.E. at Shoemaker High School in her hometown of Killeen, Texas, for three years. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminal Justice and Criminology from Virginia Union University and is currently working on a Masters in Coaching Leadership and Sports Administration from Concordia University from Austin, Texas.

What Coach Curry likes best about Kimmons is the students.

“They have different personalities that can turn your day around,” Coach Curry said.

Her high school Volleyball coach Shelly Harris inspired her to become a coach because of her passion and love that she consistently showed the team.

“Coach Harris trusted me and my talents and pushed me to be a great leader, teammate, and scholar,” Coach Curry said. “She also helped me get a scholarship to play volleyball in college. I am forever thankful for her!”

Coach Curry’s favorite teacher memory is seeing her student athletes graduate high school and pursue their dreams.

“This always brings me so much joy!” Coach Curry said.

Getting her student athletes to believe in their capabilities has been Coach Curry’s biggest challenge.

“It takes time, but after everyone gets over the initial nervousness of trying new things, we are able to get out of our comfort zone and embrace our skills all while gaining confidence!” Coach Curry said.

Outside of school, Coach Curry enjoys walking trails.

“Walking in beautiful scenery helps clear my mind,” Coach Curry said. “I also enjoy trying new foods and hanging out with my family and my two dogs!”