Coach Wright Guides Athletes

With a Bachelor’s in Business Administration from Ouachita Baptist University and Secondary Education and Coaching from Arkansas Tech, Coach Robert Wright stepped into the field of education 21 years ago. This Glenwood, AR, native taught driver’s education and coached football for one year at Subiaco Academy. He also devoted 20 years to Springdale Southwest Junior High School where he coached football, track, and basketball and taught Computer Applications, Typing, and Careers.

Coach Wright even got to play horse with Shaquille O’Neal and Scottie Pippen before the 1996 NBA All-Star game.

Being coached in elementary school by A.G. Tidwell inspired Coach Wright to follow that path.

“He was funny, smart, and like a second dad to me while teaching me how to love team sports,” Coach Wright said. “I wanted to grow up and be like Coach Tidwell.”

Coach Wright really enjoys being around the kids here.

“The population is so diverse, and they all have their own ways of being funny,” Coach Wright said.

Coach Wrights aims to build relationships with as many students as possible.

“I also hope to initiate student learning on and off of the field and make my student-athletes feel safe, valued, and respected,” Coach Wright said.

Making tough decisions on when to stop giving kids extra chances is Coach Wright’s biggest challenge.

“I had so many coaches and teachers who gave me many more chances than I deserved before I started making wise choices,” Coach Wright said. “My coaches and teachers never gave up on me, so I feel like I should pass that effort forward.”

Outside of school, Coach Wright enjoys cooking good food for people.

“It makes me feel good to make them feel good,” Coach Wright said.