Mrs. Melton Maintains Family Tradition

Mrs. Melton Maintains Family Tradition

Mrs. Lori Melton knew she would become a teacher because she wanted to be just like her Aunt Nancy. Her high school counselor, Judy Adkins, also inspired Mrs. Melton.

“Mrs. Akins took me to visit Henderson State University, and I was hooked,” Mrs. Melton said.

Upon earning a Bachelor’s of Science Education there, Mrs. Melton taught at Malvern Elementary School, Hobson Preschool and Kindergarten, and Cook Elementary. When FSPS reconfigured the school system, Mrs. Melton moved to Kimmons to continue teaching 6th grade Science.

“My sixth graders challenge me to be a better teacher,” Mrs. Melton said. “Plus, I work with some pretty amazing people here who make it fun to come to work each day.”

One of the first goals Mrs. Melton set in August was to learn everyone’s names.

“Coming from elementary school where I had 28 students to Kimmons where I have 150 students was a challenge,” Mrs. Melton said. “Another goal is keeping my students engaged and excited about science.”

The biggest challenge to Mrs. Melton is deciding just what to teach since there are so many topics and activities.

“It is hard to fit it all in,” Mrs. Melton said. “At the beginning of the year, we spent several weeks learning about energy, focusing on kinetic and potential energy, along with thermal energy transfer. Recently, we studied unit 5, which included cells, body systems, and brain stimuli. We were able to do several activities that involve memory and optical illusions.”

A fun fact about Mrs. Melton is her uncle John Vitale was the head football coach and assistant basketball and track coach from 2008-2012.

Outside of school, Mrs. Melton enjoys reading mysteries, watching crime documentaries on Netflix, and spending time with family.

“I also enjoy watching cooking shows, especially The Great British Bake Off,” Melton said. “I love spending time with my family and friends. Mondays are for bowling with friends. Family dinner happens every Wednesday night and includes my husband, Johnny, my 2 children that live in Fort Smith, Olivia and Jake, Jake’s girlfriend, one of my daughter’s best friends, and my next-door neighbors. Breakfast for dinner is a big hit.”