Students, Teachers Join to Create Kimmons’ First-Ever Community Garden

In winter, students eagerly met with Mrs. Grubbs, Mrs. Humphries, Mr. Schneider, and Mr. Justin Williamson to calculate the number of seeds they needed to plant and how much dirt to haul into raised beds for square-foot gardening. With the beds ready in the courtyard, they worked together in spring to carefully place seeds and new plants in the soil to create Kimmons’ first-ever community garden. Now, student gardeners are eager to see plump tomatoes, hefty potatoes, and colorful carrots come summertime.

“I had never gardened in my life, and it seemed interesting to make a community garden that helps others,” Sofia Estrada, Student Council president, said. “I have enjoyed watching things grow.”

Emily Earls, 7th, joined the Community Garden group because she likes plants and meeting new people.

“It’s a good deed,” Emily said. “I enjoyed being able to plant vegetables with my friends.”

Yarel Barbosa, 6th, joined because she knew her mom really wants a garden, too.

“When my Mom has a garden, I’ll be able to help her,” Yarel said. “I really liked planting vegetables with the kind members.”

Like Yarel, Evelyn Gonzalez, 6th, joined as a way to help her mom in their garden at home.

“This has been a first for me, and I have enjoyed being outside and planting potatoes,” Evelyn said.

Alison Barahona, 6th, also appreciated getting to be outside.

“Plus, I got to know and meet more people,” Alison said.

Mr. Justin helped build the raised garden beds and taught the kids how to calculate the area needed for vegetables to be planted. He explained that learning does not only take place in a room with four walls.

“Sometimes, the most important lessons are taught in open-air cathedrals surrounded by nature,” Mr. Justin said.” These kids came alive when they got their hands dirty and handled a seed or a plant. To be a part of children learning something as simple and wholesome as gardening makes me proud.”

Mrs. Humphries encouraged students outside of Student Council to join in during monthly activity days.

“I’m most proud of the effort the students put in to help plan the garden, make decisions on what to grow, haul dirt, and plant,” Mrs. Humphries said. “They have really done the hard work of making the community garden become a reality.”

As for future visions of the garden, students are excited to see what happens. Angel Vanhsouphet, 6th, looks forward to sampling the potatoes he helped plant.

“When the potatoes have grown, it will be a treasure hunt,” Angel said.

Emely Fernandez, 6th, is delighted to have been part of the team.

“It makes me proud that I cared for the plants, and it bore produce,” Emely said.

Emily wants the community garden to continue to grow.

“We could donate some of the food and have enough for the school,” Kylie said.

Estrella Canada Adauto, who liked learning how different plants grow, hopes to get more materials and garden club members for next school year.

“I hope we can grow many more fruits and vegetables and expand the garden,” Estrella said.

In addition to tomatoes, potatoes, and carrots, the garden currently contains peas, squash, peppers, cucumbers, cabbage, lettuce, onions, eggplant, strawberries, and watermelon. It also includes herbs: cilantro, mint, basil, thyme, and rosemary.

Haydee Bermudez, who loves singing while gardening, hopes the garden thrives in the future, even after she graduates in 2026.

“I want the next generation to learn this skill because it may benefit them in the future,” Haydee said.

Kyas Williamson, Student Council vice president, has an even loftier goal.

“I hope the garden is still there 50 years from now,” Kyas said.