Administrators, Facilitator Ready for New REDS Program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dr. Johnson, Mrs. Wilbanks, Mrs. Chase, Ms. Ehnle

In late September, Dr. Johnson, Assistant Principals Wilbanks and Chase, and Instructional Facilitator Ms. Ehnle will be starting a new advisory program called REDS, which stands for “Raiders Excelling and Daring to Succeed.” On the REDS schedule, classes will be shortened to make room for a thirty-minute session in between 1st and 2nd periods every day. Students will receive extra help in subjects they have trouble in. Those who have already mastered the skills will receive enrichment (advanced learning opportunities).

“REDS is a time devoted to every student’s growth and success as a learner,” Ms. Ehnle said.

Mondays will be advisory day where students check their grades and work on subjects they need the most help. On days that focus on Math and Language Arts, those teachers will have first pick in “drafting” struggling students to come to REDS in their classrooms. Twice a month, REDS sessions will focus on Reading skills every day of the week. Because most Raiders do not read at grade level, all students will participate and be grouped according to STAR test results.

“I hope students understand that we are all working as a team to improve and that it can only take a small intervention to make a big difference,” Assistant Principal Wilbanks said.

Fridays will be Homework Hall for students with missing work. Others can attend club meetings or join in on an activity led by teachers. Even if students decide not to be in a club, they will be assigned to a Homework Hall teacher. On Pep Rally days, there may not be REDS because of how short of time the schedule will be.