Mr. Eveld Advances to Principal

Mr. Eveld will be trading in his coach’s whistle for a principal’s desk at Mansfield High School in August after 14 years here. Before assisting administrators with discipline, Mr. Eveld taught Math Lab and Health/PE, monitored SDC, and coached 7th grade girls’ track and basketball, boys’ football, basketball. Prior to entering education, Mr. Eveld worked for 11 years at Trane Air Conditioning manufacturing plant in Fort Smith.

Mr. Eveld first knew he wanted to become a teacher and coach his junior year in high school when he coached summer baseball. He then coached football and basketball at Jeffrey Boys Club for several years.

“Doing those things, I knew that’s what I wanted to do,” Mr. Eveld said.

A big change Mr. Eveld has experienced in his time at Kimmons has been the move to chromebooks.

“Students are more engaged because using technology is where education is going and what students like in today’s world,” Mr. Eveld said. “It allows students to be more interactive with the lesson where the teacher is more of a coach and allows students to learn by discovery.”

As a coach and teacher, Mr. Eveld aspired to impact students.

“Hopefully along the way, I’ve made a difference in the lives of our student athletes and helped them grow, not only athletically but academically as well,” Mr. Eveld said. “Some may not know, but I was Rookie Teacher of the Year in the 2005-’06 school year.”

After transitioning to his new role as assistant to APs, Mr. Eveld experienced some challenges, especially working with each incident individually and trying to help each student stay on his/her path to success.

“Each incident that happens is different in nature but all revolves around making choices,” Mr. Eveld said. “Each choice has either a positive or negative consequence.”

Mr. Eveld will miss the people he works with and the students.

“As with anyone I believe, you get in a routine and used to who you work with,” Mr. Eveld said.

Mr. Eveld is ready to move up to head principal.

“I look forward to the opportunity to work with new teachers and staff to help Mansfield students be successful,” Mr. Eveld said.