Quiz Bowl Finds Success at Van Buren Tournament

At the Van Buren Tournament, the Quiz Bowl team won three of seven games and beat the Darby team by five points. They also battled against VB Freshman Academy, VB Butterfield, VB Northridge, two different teams from Chaffin, Darby, and Ramsey.

Quiz Bowl is a question and answer game. Teams go to competitions to compete with each other. The questions that are asked at the competitions are completely random and have to do with all areas of knowledge, such as math, science, culture, presidents, and anything else you could think of.

“We didn’t win, but it was fun to be a part of it,” Alex Bowlin, 9th, said.

Courtney Nguyen, 9th, liked the competition.

“It felt good to beat the teams,” Courtney said.

When competing in Quiz Bowl, there is a lot to prepare for.

Eric Wilson believes that you are better prepared if you know your teammates. Eric must have known his teammates well enough, since he made the All-Star Tournament Team.

“You have to study and work on your team chemistry to know each other’s weaknesses,” Eric said.

According to Courtney, knowledge is important.

“You need to know random facts and how to be academically smart,” Courtney said.

There are many good things that come from being in Quiz Bowl like answering questions, talking to teammates, and savoring the thrill of the matches.

Cole Grist, 8th, liked the team aspect best.

“The other students on the team make Quiz Bowl fun, and these people have helped me learn more,” Cole said.

Nha Ho liked how close the team is.

“They treat me like family, and they don’t criticize,” Nha said.

Mrs. Walker encourages students to try out for the team.

“We have a two day event at the beginning of the year to try to recruit students that might be interested,” Mrs. Walker said. “This year we want to invite anyone to our practices on Thursdays to see if they want to join. It’s fun, laid back, and quite entertaining!”