Dr. Johnson Becomes New Principal at KJH

With the departure of Dr. Rathbun to Northside High School, the search began for a new lead principal. Tough competition and two rounds of interviews led to the hiring of Dr. Christopher Johnson.

Principal Johnson has specific goals for Kimmons.

“I would like Kimmons to be more data driven, provide a rigorous and equitable education for our students, and ensure the learning environment is safe and conducive to student success,” Dr. Johnson said.

In moving to the Fort Smith School District, Dr. Johnson has a few things about which he is most excited.

“I look forward to taking on new challenges, meeting new people within the Fort Smith community, and collaborating with Kimmons Junior High School staff on how to transform the school academically,” Dr. Johnson said.

Before taking on the challenge of lead principal, Dr. Johnson devoted four years to serving as an assistant principal at Jacksonville High School in North Pulaski School District and J.A. Fair High School in Little Rock. Prior to that, Dr. Johnson served as the Dean of Students at Hamilton Learning Academy, also in Little Rock.

“I became an administrator to affect more students both academically and socially,” Dr. Johnson said. “As an assistant principal at J.A. Fair, I was instrumental in improving the school’s report card from an F to a C and helping the school’s removal from the academic distressed list.”

Before becoming an administrator, Dr. Johnson taught physical education and health and coached football and track at Hamilton Learning Academy and at Little Rock Central High School from 2005 to 2013. Outside of school, Dr. Johnson enjoys working out, playing tennis, and watching the Razorbacks’ football and basketball teams.

Dr. Johnson comes to Kimmons with a strong collegiate background. He earned his doctoral degree in Educational Leadership from Arkansas Tech University, Education Specialist in Curriculum and Instruction and Masters in Educational Leadership from Arkansas State University, and a Bachelor of Science in Health from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

“Dr. Johnson has an enthusiasm for meeting the needs of students and building positive relationships with stakeholders that we believe will contribute to the continued success of Kimmons Junior High,” Superintendent Brubaker said.