Cheer and Dance Try Outs Close, Captains Reflect

Tryouts for Cheerleading and the Raiderette Dance Team are coming soon, and students are feeling the pressure.

“I’ve always wanted to perform in front of an audience and be on the cheer or dance team,” Unique Taylor, 8th, said. “I’m nervous I’m going to mess up on the dance, and if I do, it’s going to be embarrassing.”

Unique is not the only student with a fear of messing up.

“I am scared of learning the moves or being forgetful because sometimes I don’t push myself hard enough,” Isabel Ochoa, 8th said.

Other than forgetting things, some students worry about the physical conditioning required.

“I am most nervous about running the mile because I have problems running long distance in little time,” America Cruz, 8th, said.

Despite being nervous about try outs, students are inspired for the chance at their dream.

“My third-grade teacher and my friends Addison Bush and Anistasia Coleman inspire me to try,” Dante McGee, 7th, said.

Pride in their school inspired others.

“What inspired me to tryout for cheer and dance is the chance to represent Kimmons,” Elizabeth Cadena, 7th, said. “I always wanted to be part of one of those teams.”

With it being their final year as junior-high captains, freshmen reflect on their experiences.

“The girls inspire me to be a better cheerleader,” Skye Wade, cheer captain, said. “I will miss performing with them, and I love to dance!”

Chavon Kimbrough, Cheer co-captain, feels similarly.

“I will most miss being with my girls and having a great time filled with laughter and smiles,” Chavon said.

The Cheerleaders were not the only ones who bonded.

“I love dancing with all of my girls,” Braleigh Anderson, Dance co-captain said. “It always feels different if just one of us is gone.”

Some of the girls reflected beyond team friendships.

“I will miss Coach Ferguson, being part of a Kimmons organization, and being a leader of the school,” Sydney Green, Cheer co-captain, said.